Monday, June 27, 2011

New Pictures From The Trip

On a bike you have to earn the chance to see the scenery, near Kancamangus Pass, N. H.

I haven't had much chance to update my story lately.  It's been raining almost every day and I've been pedaling a lot:  103 miles three days ago, then 80, then 75, and 50 so far today.  I did have the chance to visit the museum in Seneca Falls, New York.  There in 1848, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and others helped launch the modern women's right movement.  

Before Stanton came along (and then joined forces with Susan B. Anthony) women had few rights.  They couldn't vote.  They couldn't control property once they were married and in cases of divorce the husband gained custody automatically.

Clothes included hoop skirts (1850s, 60s) and then the bustle (70s, 80s).  The corset was in fashion for most of the 19th century and could be laced so tight that some women fainted as a result.  Any sacrifice for style!




Elizabeth Cady Stanton, with umbrella; me.


Frederick Douglass next to me.



Find your business niche and the customers will find you.

Combination bustle and corset, c. 1870s.


Resting my feet near the Swift River.

A woman's place, before the convention at Seneca Falls.

No comments:

Post a Comment