Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Brief Tribute to the American People: Photos Included

I managed to erase this post earlier.  So it may sound the same if you already read; and it may sound different, too.  In any case, it's mostly pictures.

What I said on September 11, when this was first posted, was that the American people are greater than they often know and a bicycle trip across this country is a good way to be reminded.  You have an abundance of time to yourself to do some thinking when you're pedaling alone; and I started mulling over the subject of stereotypes one day.  I had heard one man complain about "tree-huggers" who made it impossible to open a refinery and create jobs.  And another asked me if I was having trouble with "rednecks" trying to run me off the road.

What I discovered--and what we often forget if we watch the cable or evening news--is that almost everyone in this great country wants to help, wants to do good and do right, and wants to protect freedom (theirs and their neighbor's both), and there just aren't that many jerks.

I got yelled at by ONE carload of guys (in Indiana) but ten thousand cars passed me by in safety, and usually showing great respect for my safety. 

I got donations from every ethnic group, from people across the political spectrum, young and old alike. 

And plenty of people who weren't in a position to donate money helped with kind words or provided places to stay or fixed my bike or breakfast for free.

So:  ten years after the terrible attacks (and eight days after I posted a similar entry) we still live in a great nation.  We still have the right to complain about government and "vote the bums out" if we choose.  And we're still a thousand times better off and a better people than the fanatics who tried to bring the United States to its knees on 9-11.

Thanks to the countless people who helped me along the way.  Special thanks to my wife who let me pedal away for two months without complaint.  And to diabetics everywhere, remember this:  there are countless good people out there willing to help.  The research advances.

A cure is coming some day.

If you would like to donate to help find a cure for type-1 diabetes please click HERE!

(This single click takes you to my fund-raising page. There, click again on "donate to this event." Then click "Biking and Painting for Diabetes."

I got to ride in some fabulous places.
Grand Teton National Park, Whoming.

I finally figured out how to rotate this great picture of Sidney and Sam Staebler.
Sidney, 8, is a type-1 diabetic.  She and Sam, 4, live in Bozeman, Montana.
Their parents, Dan and Rebecca, put me up at their place for a night and fed me well.
Bill and Shirlee Wyman, newlyweds (yep!) in Garden City, Utah.
Bill has been diabetic for 46 years, but stays fit and healthy.
Unfortunately, he lost his daughter to this disease when she was only 31.
Notice the boats at lower left.
Jackson Lake, Grand Tetons, Wyoming.
You can't take a bad picture at the Owbow Bend in Grand Tetons even if you try.

Bottled water in it's "natural habitat."
Not sure why anyone throws these out:  especially in national parks.

The pensive 62-year-old rider after climbing an eight-mile long pass.
(Wondering if a heart attack is imminent?)
Sun sets over a campground in Logan Canyon, Utah.
This isn't fattening! 
On a bicycle trip it's fueling.
Bear Lake, Utah.
The Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, Utah.
The Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City.

1 comment:

  1. John: Once again, our family is in awe of your diligence and perseverance. You've received "awe-struck congrats" from Rich, Joe and Chuck (I sent them some of the pix from your final day); we are all so pleased you finished safe and sound. Way to go, brother! And, when you get time, post up a couple of those "final day ride pix"! I'll resend those couple with the big dump truck passing you on the Marsh Creek Canyon Road! Enjoy home and the family, and break that regular Coca-Cola habit! Yep, continuing advice from your dear, OLDER brother. Tim

    ReplyDelete