Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Fat Boy Getting in Shape

If anyone knows of a type-1 diabetic who might be interested, I'm still looking for names, so I can ride in their honor.  I'm going to head out to Loveland on my bicycle this morning, and my old school is going to let me send out a letter in the name of several Loveland kids.  I hope to log about 70 miles.  Then I'm going to try to come home and refrain from eating.

I'm excited to ride across the United States again to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Fund, and if you're interested here is your chance to help:

To donate to find a cure for all type-1 diabetics, click HERE!

If you wonder why anyone in their right mind would want to bicycle across the USA at the age of 62, here are a few pictures that provide an answer.

During my 2007 trip, I made my own campsite next to this mountain stream near Leadville, Colorado (two miles above sea level).












I thought the stark beauty of this scene north of Rawlins, Wyoming was fantastic.

Lake at the summit of Togwothee Pass, near Grand Teton National Park.

Horsetail Falls, Columbia River Gorge, Oregon
Twenty years ago a 600 ton piece of rock broke off the cliff in the background and fell into the lake.
A wedding party posing on the bridge got completely soaked, but otherwise no harm done.

Most people who bicycle across the United States are young.
I met these two fellows in Kansas but lost their names.

This young lady, Sarah Brigham, 22, was riding a thousand miles, from Yellowstone Park
to Durango, Colorado. 
She told me she made the tutu, herself.
I ride mainly because I love my daughter, Emily (above right), type-1 since age 14.
Sarah, left, is cool, too.
Emily is studying nursing at Ohio State. 
Sarah is doing graduate work at Yale to become a nurse practitioner.

No comments:

Post a Comment