Monday, April 29, 2024

Bicycling Across the USA to Raise Money for JDRF

I will update progress as I remember how to load pictures from my phone to my blog. I am old and easily befuddled by technology. But I have ridden 256 miles the first five days. Adequate start. In five days, an average of 1,095 children get diagnosed with type-1 diabetes.


am about to find the answer to the following question: Can a gentleman of substantial age, training on Oreos, bicycle across the United States, in an effort to raise money for the Juvenile Diabetes ResearchFoundation? 

First, I am riding in honor of Emily Viall. My daughter has been dealing with type-1 diabetes since she was 14. 

I am riding for Pattie Spicher, who has been battling the same auto-immune disease for 53 years, and Audrey Lake, who was diagnosed in 1962. I will be riding for others, as well, as I get organized and collect names and their stories. 

So, what could go wrong. I’ve got Oreos on my side.


The plan: Start at Acadia National Park -
pedal west until you hit an ocean.


Not only do I have Oreos to fuel my ride, I have Jim’s Bicycle Shop in Deer Park in my corner. He rebuilt my bicycle for this trip – the same one I’ve used to ride across the USA twice before. (Also to raise money for JDRF.) Jim sold my by Cannondale in 1999, and he’s never led me wrong.

(I HIGHLY RECOMMEND JIM’S IF YOU NEED A RIDE.)


Third, I’m riding for Emily’s twins – who want to grow up with a healthy mother. Emily is now a nurse, herself, and takes excellent care of herself, with the help of her partner, Ryan Bowling. She has good health insurance, too. 

Many type-1 diabetics do not. 



Emily's boys: Story with the yellow car, Prosper with black.
My wife, Anne, an excellent mother and grandmother, both.


Emily has been dealing with type-1 diabetes for 19 years.
She has great class, like her mom.


My rebuilt bicycle, ready to roll.


I expect to meet plenty of kind people on my ride – as I have on my previous rides. I expect to lose 25 pounds again, too. And I’ll see some beautiful sights. I should also thank my wife for letting me try this again. 

I have said innumerable times, that Anne is the most balanced, best person, male or female, I have ever met. 

So: Here we GO!


If you would like to donate, to help find a cure 
for type-1 diabetes,
 go to this link.


1 comment:

  1. Done it twice before - you know what it takes. Having a casie helps

    ReplyDelete